Sunday 24 April 2016


When i was a child, there were many things that i was taught. Some i have forgotten, some i could not forget even if i wanted to. One of the lessons that i was inspired by was taught by my father. This lesson has stayed with me throughout my life and has shaped the way i look at people and the world around me.

I remember sitting with my father one day during breakfast when i was probably around 8 or 9 years old. He worked at night and my mom used to go to work early in the morning. I remember my father preparing breakfast for us everyday before my younger brother and I went to school. I don’t remember how it started, but my father raised his hand and told me that, just as we have five fingers that are not the same length, in the same manner, not every person from a community or culture is the same. He went on to explain that there are positive and negative people that are part of every social structure. We cannot judge a whole society or culture based on a few negative people that we have encountered.

At the time, i took it as one of the many things that i was taught by my parents. Over time, i saw my parents’ relationship with others and how they dealt with other people in their every day life. Their actions brought this lesson to life. This had a profound affect on me as an individual. It made me look at every person as a human being, not just a part of religion, a culture or member of a social group. It made me open up to the good in people, regardless of their culture, race or allegiance.

I share this experience with you (aside from the great lesson in it) because i have learned over the years that the home we are brought up in has great influence on how our life unfolds. Paraphrasing, Comenius, (considered the father of the modern school system), who insisted that education starts from home. Not only does education start from home, but we can say that the individuals properly educated within the family can influence the education system in the world.

Parents influence their children with many things, the strongest of which is their actions. What we teach is only the beginning. That which we teach in our conduct is more important than the words without conduct. Our actions, as parents, in our everyday life is what influences our children the most.

Are your actions in line with what you want to teach your children, or do you preach without practice?

~ Faisal Safi ~

No comments:

Post a Comment